From another old retired military fart and shooter…
Something to think about…
Rioters with Antifa and BLM shirts and face coverings are unexpectedly marching through your suburban residential neighborhood. You don’t live in a gated community. The streets are public. Assume you live in Arizona. But in case you don’t, think about what you would do.
With binoculars, you surveil the marchers as they approach. You observe they are armed with baseball bats and Molotov Cocktails. Some have weapons. Others are carrying bricks and other objects. Their manner of dress, what they are chanting, and what they are carrying clearly projects violence. You’re understandably concerned.
And then the unthinkable happens. They stop at your house (they probably saw your Trump sign and American flag). You are trained in the use of firearms and have a suitable firearm in your possession, one that is reliably accurate, both at close range and distances beyond 25 yards.
Your decision is …?
1. Call the police and wait inside your home, being sure to advise the police dispatcher that you are armed and what you are wearing for identification purposes, and/or
2. Call your neighbors to warn them, and/or
3. Search for a fire extinguisher (if you have one or more – you should), and/or
4. Stand in plain view near the entrance to your home (holding your firearm as a deterrent in a non-threatening fashion, hoping for the best), and
5. If close enough, verbally warn the rioters not to come on to your property (while not displaying/raising your firearm).
In spite of the above choices of action, one of the rioters carrying bricks comes onto your property. He begins throwing bricks at your windows. Another rioter carrying a Molotov Cocktail follows him onto your property. It appears he is preparing to throw a Molotov Cocktail through what will soon be several broken windows. You see him attempting to light the Molotov Cocktail.
Your decision is …?
1. Eliminate the threatening arsonist(s) when he/she/they come onto your property, or if afraid to act …
2. Wait for the brick thrower to break windows before defending your home, or if still afraid to act …
3. Wait for the arsonist to light the Molotov Cocktail before defending your home, or if still afraid to act …
4. Wait for the arsonist to throw the Molotov Cocktail before defending your home, or if still afraid to act …
5. Move away to a place of possible relative safety and watch your home and its contents burn.
This is probably as good a time as any to consider what actions you might lawfully take. The next several months has the elevated potential for civil unrest that could reach into the suburbs. We have already witnessed, in hundreds of incidents across the country, the lawless run wild, looting, burning, destroying businesses and private property, and the innocent victims who were attempting to defend themselves and their property, and the property of others, be arrested and prosecuted. Why it is not the other way around? Has self-defense become unlawful?
NO pressure here but the Antifa/BLM thugs are gathering in the street in front of your home – right now. What are you going to do?
Edit- Thanks to Tom for the video link. Mas Ayoob discussing how to navigate this mess. Long but GOOD!!!