Will Atlanta have a police department today?
From various sources last night…
- Keep walking off the job officers. Y’all deserve better than a crooked administration
- 100% behind you guys thanks for your service.
- LVMPD IS HIRING CORRECTIONS OFFICERS. PROTECTTHECITY.COM
- To all the officers that quit tonight. Bye, Felicia… 😝
- I just heard some scuttlebutt that officers are resigning en mass? I also read on the twatter that in essence, the entire night shift is calling in sick tonight in protest? YUGE if true and justified IMO- why go risk your life just to be thrown under the bus by civilian leadership? These men and women have one of the most difficult, thankless and important jobs that exist… lets see how a major US city likes not having anyone answer 911 for an entire night/day. My guess is the sentiment will shift REAL fast.
- Every single officer in Fulton County, not just Atlanta PD, should walk off the job. The rest of the country supports you.
Apparently second shift has walked off the job, including patrol, CID, and detectives…
Atlanta, GA — The head of Atlanta’s police union confirmed Wednesday that officers from the Atlanta Police Department in Zones 3 and 6 walked off the job Wednesday afternoon.
Vince Champion, southeast regional director of the International Brotherhood of Police officers, said that police officers had stopped answering calls midshift, in response to charges against Officer Garrett Rolfe who is accused of murdering Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta.
Full article, HERE.
Apparently there were a number of officers that suddenly had the ‘blue flu’ after the announcement yesterday that the DA was going to charge the officers involved.
Also appears the surrounding agencies are refusing calls other than officer down. This is going to be bad!
Interestingly, during the announcement, there were multiple repetitions of the phrase that Tasers were not deadly weapons, yet two weeks ago four officers were charged by the SAME DA with aggravated assault, a serious felony.
Aggravated assault in Georgia is described as assault “with a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury.” (bold mine)
Sooooo… Which is it??? Or is it dependent on whom is holding the Taser? Just curious…