For those who read Bayou Renaissance Man, Peter is in the hospital with an incipient heart attack… Please send thoughts and prayers.
I got this from an old family friend with this email-
As you might remember I was a navy gun fire control man during the Korean war. I served aboard the Cruiser USS Manchester from 1951 to 1954. I am a member in good standing with the Cruiser Sailor’s Association and as such receive a quarterly magazine with all kind of Cruiser stories and other good articles. “Desks” appeared in this quarter’s magazine and I think it is one of the very best articles I have had the pleasure to read in quite a long time. I am enclosing an .rft copy of the article for you and wish, if you see fit, you would pass it along to your friends. It is the way things should be in our schools. This teacher is wise beyond her years.
I like this teacher. A lesson that should be taught in all schools … And colleges.
Back in September of 200S, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principle and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.
When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.
“Ms. Cothren, where’re our desks?” She replied, “You can’t have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.”
They thought, “Well, maybe it’s our grades…” “No,” she said.
‘Maybe it’s our behavior.” She told them…” 0 it’s not even your behavior.”
And so, they came and went, the first period. second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom. B early afternoon, news crews had started gathering in Ms. Cothren’ classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room .
The final period of the day came, and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, “Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me what he/she has done to earn the right y to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom.
Now I am going to tell you.”
At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniform, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place, those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.
Martha said, “You didn’t earn the right to sit at those desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it’s up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don’t ever forget it…”
And a lesson a few adults need to learn too…
Well, lemme see…
Gen McCrystal was specifically selected to take over Afghanistan, right?
He was directed to ‘fix’ the problems, right?
He proposed a troop increase of 42,000 AT THE MINIMUM needed to stabilized/start turning the situation around, right?
He submitted the paperwork in a timely fashion (in mid-August), right?
The military chain of command approved it (Gen Patraeus, ADM Mullin), right?
So he’s good to go, right???
Ah… not so fast… The administration has been sitting on the request and waffling since August. NEITHER the HASC or SASC has yet to call Gen McCrystal, and he has only had ONE short VTC with the Lightbringer.
Now he is being pressured to ‘withdraw’ the ‘overzealous’ request…
Oh yeah, he DID have a 20 minute sit down with the Lightbringer today after the Olympic Committee gave the Olympics to Brazil today.
I ‘guess’ that will be the Lightbringer’s justification for flying to Copenhagen now.
HEY, YOU, ADMINISTRATION- We’ve got people DYING over there, they need a little help!!! Stop with the BS, and either s**t or get off the pot!!!
And speaking of the Olympics, looks like a major fail for the Lightbringer, Mz. Lightbringer and Oprah… Any bets all those unions and real estate developers in Chitown are just a hair pissed???
Oh yeah, and guess who Blogo’s little Senator blames for Chitown not getting the Olympics? Give up???
George Bush of course!!! sigh…
I guess they think if we are distracted enough (like the trip to Copenhagen), we won’t notice the BS continues in DC. Latest projection on the Health Care bill out of the Senate=$1 Trillion over 10 years. And now the “latino activists” are clamoring for inclusion for “their” people…
Reminds me more and more of Clinton!
And a couple of golden oldies for ya…
Sometime this year we taxpayers may again receive an Economic Stimulus payment, since they still have almost 90% of the Stimulus funds STILL in the government… And, oh by the way, new unemployment numbers are now at 9.8% (13% if you count those that have given up and quit looking).
I’ll explain it using the “Q and A” format.
Q. What is an Economic Stimulus payment?
A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.
Q. Where will the government get this money?
A. From taxpayers.
Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?
A. Only a smidgen.
Q. What is the purpose of this payment?
A. The plan is for you to use the money to purchase high ticket items like a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.
Q. But isn’t that stimulating the economy of China?
A. Shut up.
Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the US economy by spending your stimulus check wisely:
• If you spend the stimulus money at Wal-Mart, the money will go to China.
• If you spend it on gasoline, your money will go to the Arabs.
• If you purchase a computer, it will go to India.
• If you purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala.
• If you buy a car, it will go to Japan or Korea.
• If you purchase useless stuff, it will go to Taiwan.
• If you pay your credit cards off, or buy stock, it will go to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.
Instead, keep the money in America by:
1 spending it at yard sales, or
2 going to ball games, or
3 spending it on prostitutes, or
4 beer or
(These are the only American businesses still operating in the US)
Conclusion: Go to a ball game with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a yard sale and drink beer all day.
And I found this from back in 2006 I think it was… Prophetic to say the least…
Nothing like hearing the plan straight from the horse’s mouth!
And here is a video that is actually WORTH WATCHING…
But for some unknown reason, YouTube refuses to let me post it…
It’s called GI Joe and Lillie.
Y’all have a good weekend, ya hear 🙂
Well, THAT week is over…
One of those weeks, I think I’ve been the bug all week… Just a quickie to let y’all know I’m still alive over here…
The news say that the date in New York for the Lightbringer and missus cost $24,000, here’s what you DON’T know.
Three days before “dinner” a C-17 flew Marines and the helicopter maintenance equipment to JFK Airport .
The day before “dinner” a C-17 the USSS and the motorcade to JFK Airport
The crew of 5 spent two days and nights at the Hilton in Times Square. Average hotel bill: $621.66 plus $64 a day in per diem. The USSS guys were at a different Hilton in NYC, so figure that cost another $14,000 (or so) plus per diem. The Marines had to have cost as much and were there four days, so figure another $55,000 plus per diem (for 44 Marines).
The C-17s were supposed to fly the motorcade back and go home, but the Air Force was so short of C-17’s (ya know, that pesky little war in the Mid-East that needs heavy lift support) that they were re-tasked to take the motorcade back, return to JFK and take the helicopter back to Quantico ..
When the one bird got back to JFK, while the pilot was turning the plane around to park, he noticed a rotor blade sticking out of the hangar where the helicopter was parked. After shutting down they walked over to the hanger and were surprised to find FIVE helicopters, not ONE.
After talking to the Marines guarding the “fleet” and found that they were flying all five helicopters home and the C-17 was only transporting the Marines and the maintenance equipment. Additionally, they were told that the White House requested FIVE helicopters. The Marines had spent all morning trying to figure out how much it cost them to come and they figured it cost them $140,000 to stay there and the trip’s total had to be about $1,000,000.
We heard that the President didn’t use Air Force One (the 747), he came in on THREE Air Force Lear jets.
So, date night consisted of:
2 C-17’s flying three missions, 3 Lear jets, 5 Helicopters,
Presidential Motorcade, 44 Marines, more than 20 USSS personnel on our plane.. Who knows what it cost the NYPD and NY Port Authority (at the airport) in overtime.
These are the same people that chastised the automobile CEO’s for using their aircraft. It further proves that the media only use the facts that make the President look good and hide any facts that will detract from his persona…
Is this the ‘change’ we expected???
Talk with friends and those who are not blinded by charisma. More and more folks I know who voted for Obama are very disappointed and sorry they did so.
The Emperor’s clothes on a grand scale. “Transparency”? Remember, 2010 is just around the corner. All we have to do is survive long enough…
Sitting on the front porch with a cup of coffee watching the sun rise as you listen to the stillness of the morning is always a special time…
Well, I’m at it again… sigh…
Some of us DO appreciate what you do…
1) You have the bladder capacity of five people.
2) You have ever restrained someone & it was not a sexual experience.
3) You believe that 50% of people are a waste of good air.
4) Your idea of a good time is a “man with a gun” call.
5) You conduct a criminal record check on anyone who seems friendly towards you.
6) You believe in the aerial spraying of Prozac & birth control pills.
7) You disbelieve 90% of what you hear & 75% of what you see.
8) You have your weekends off planned for a year.
9) You believe the government should require a permit to reproduce.
10) You refer to your favorite restaurant by the intersection at which it’s located.
11) You have ever wanted to hold a seminar entitled: “Suicide…getting it right the first time.”
12) You ever had to put the phone on hold before you begin laughing uncontrollably.
13) You think caffeine should be available in IV form..
14) You believe anyone who says, “I only had two beers” is going to blow more than a .15
15) You find out a lot about paranoia just by following people around.
16) Anyone has ever said to you, “There are people killing other people out there and you are here messing with me.”
17) People flag you down on the street & ask you directions to strange places…and you know where they’re located.
18) You can discuss where you are going to eat with your partner while standing over a dead body.
19) You are the only person introduced at social gatherings by profession. (ISN’T THIS THE TRUTH)
20) You walk into places & people think it’s high comedy to grab their buddy & shout, “They’ve come to get you, Bill.”
21) You do not see daylight from November until May.
22) People shout, “I didn’t do it!” when you walk into a room & think they’re being hugely funny & original.
23) A week’s worth of laundry consists of 5 T-shirts, 5 pairs of socks, & 5 pairs of underwear.
24) You’ve ever referred to Tuesday as “my weekend”, or “this is my Friday”.
25) You’ve ever written off guns & ammunition as a business deduction..
26) You believe that unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says, “Boy, it sure is quiet tonight.”
27) Discussing dismemberment over a meal seems perfectly normal to you.
28) You find humor in other people’s stupidity.
29) You have left more meals on the restaurant table than you’ve eaten.
30) You feel good when you hear, “these handcuffs are too tight”.
I’m stuck at work, waiting on phone calls and emails, not necessarily in that order…
Missing the 9-12/Tea Party on the Mall, bored to tears… Only internet for “play” and that is slow as hell…
A couple of additional pics from Japan for y’all.
This is the ADM Burke O Club at Yoko, they are doing some work around the front to remove a driveway and upgrade the parking. No bid deal, right?
Not so fast, they have taken pictures of the rock garden, and numbered the rocks, so they can replace them in EXACTLY the same position… Gotta admire the Japanese work ethic!!!
And this is a 21 car parking “garage” that is one car deep behind an apartment building just outside the gate…
Now if you count, you’ll note 24 ‘holes’; That is so that the cars on the lower levels can be mechanically moved back and forth to allow the cars above them to be lowered to the road…
It takes about 5 minutes to ‘shuffle’ the cars for a top rack car to actually make it to the ground, but it was interesting to watch while I was drinking my coffee in the mornings…
Sigh… It’s the ‘little’ things…
I REALLY wanted to make it to the mall, and from the Fox site, looks like the turnout is MUCH larger than expected! I hope Turk, Newbius and the others are having fun down there…
I expect good posts from them tonight (hint, hint)!
Oh yeah, one more thing- Georgia Bulldogs will wear a patch honoring the 48th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (who are currently deployed to Afganistan) tonight when they play the South Carolina Gamecocks… Funny thing is, my friend who is an ETT team lead for them is from Columbia, and a USC Grad… That oughta make things interesting in the team hut tonight… 🙂